Top 10 Ways to Raise A Lifelong Reader
The elementary is continuing with Guided Reading for 1st – 5th grades. Students will be reading books that are at their individual reading level. This will increase their reading confidence and success. Students will read in a small group in school and will bring home a Guided Reading book every night and students will read to their parents each evening. Parents are asked to sign the half sheet each night. In addition to the reading, 10 minutes of math facts each night will help make students more successful!!
Read to or with your child every day, for at least 15 minutes, even when your child is old enough to read independently.
Create reading rituals. Cuddle together in the same comfortable space at the same time every day for bedtime stories; read a chapter book aloud at the breakfast table; pick out new books every time you go on vacation.
Keep a running conversation. Talk about books you are reading as you read them. Ask your child open-ended questions about the plot and characters.
Show your child that you're a reader. kids are more likely to grow up loving to read if they see that you enjoy it too.
Surround your child with words- spoken & written- from birth. Even the simplest everyday conversations build his or her vocabulary and sound-recognition skills. Frequent exposure to letters and print helps pre-readers learn the alphabet and recognize words by sight. Have fun with language: sing songs, read rhymes, and play word games.
Get your child a library card and make a regular date for visits to the library.
Make books available in every room of your home- as well as your car- so that reading can happen spontaneously.
Feed a passion: help your child find books, magazines, and other written materials that relate to a special interest or hobby.
Limit "screen time" (TV, video games, and computer games) so that it does not cut into time better spent reading.
Writing supports reading and vice versa. Provide crayons, pens, pencils and paper and encourage your child to write. Anything will do: letters, shopping lists, journal entries, original stories, etc.
- WELLNESS CENTER TRAINING — 5:30pm on Monday, January 20. Meet at the main entrance of the Wellness Center. The training lasts approximately 30 minutes. Membership cost is $50 per year, per member. A photo will be taken at the training to process onto a key card for access to the center. More information as … [READ MORE]
- NIHS Basketball Coaches & Players will be holding a MINI NBA CLINIC on Saturdays in January (11th, 18th, and 25th) for ALL boys and girls in grades 3-6 9:00-10:00 for 3rd & 4th grade 10:00-11:00am for 5th and 6th grade During this time, participants will be taught the basics of playing basketball including defense, … [READ MORE]
- The North Iowa Booster Club along with Farmers Trust and Savings Bank is sponsoring a FREE THROW CONTEST WHEN: Sunday, January 26th, 2020 WHERE: North Iowa High School Gymnasium TIME: Warm-Ups 1:00 p.m. / Contest 1:30 p.m. Medals and Ribbons will be awarded to the top three places in each age division. Parents are … [READ MORE]
- North Iowa JUNIORS are fundraising for PROM and GRADUATION with LITTLE CAESARS PIZZA KITS Order from a member of the Junior Class, or you may also order and pay online by credit or debit card: Go to www.PizzaKit.com Click on “Products” then “Shop” Select “Ship My Order to the Group” Our Fundraiser ID # … [READ MORE]
- North Iowa Community School District has the following opening for the 2020-2021 school year. 7-12 School Counselor North Iowa seeks collaborative and highly motivated staff members desiring to build relationships and be a part of a school family that is dedicated to doing what’s best for students. The starting salary of at least $44,320 and excellent … [READ MORE]
- When supporters visit our “North Iowa Community School Shutterfly Storefront” to shop and make purchases, “ShareASale” (Shutterfly’s Affiliate Network) will receive a notification and the NICS account will be credited for the sale. Purchases made are automatically attributed to NICS and we receive 8% of the sales made during their visit! Thanks for considering … [READ MORE]
- BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION The Box Tops for Education program has earned North Iowa School over $8,500.00 since we began participation over 10 years ago. In the past, the Box Top label was clipped off the package and sent to the school where they were trimmed and sorted. The labels on packages will now … [READ MORE]
- NORTH IOWA SCHOOL is implementing FLEXIBLE LEARNING DAYS A flexible learning day is used to improve learning during a school day that has been cancelled due to inclement weather. This opportunity means that students will complete learning activities and assignments at home that have been provided by the teacher . Students will receive learning activities … [READ MORE]